Sunday 29 April 2018

Slippery Ford to Keighley Moor Reservoir

Sunday April 29th a.m.
A bright sunny start with a temperature of 5°C which soon felt colder as the clouds built up and the wind blew across the moor.A Willow Warbler was singing as I got out of the car which I located in the nearby tree, there was also a Mistle Thrush in another tree and a Grey Wagtail flew down to the stream.As I started my walk a couple of Swallows appeared landing on the overhead wires.As I approached the game keepers lodge I saw a couple of male Wheatears, Curlews and Mipits were also present and just past the lodge I saw another pair of Wheatears. Here I bumped into a few of other birders who it was good to catch up with and I walked up to the reservoir with two of them.As we approached the reservoir in the distance it looked like a Common Sandpiper was at the edge of the water so I took a couple of distant pictures, it turned out to be a Redshank.We did see a Common Sandpiper on the banking which flew to the edge of the reservoir and two other birds flew past us.The Common Sandpiper walked round the edge of the reservoir towards us over the stones and came right past me at the bottom of the dam wall giving a great view and the opportunity for some pictures.
 With it feeling decidedly colder we soon headed back and we heard a Cuckoo as we approached the car park at Slippery Ford.
Nigel.
Common Sandpiper




Wheatear




Curlew

Swallow

Redshank

Common Sandpiper at Keighley Moor Reservoir 29/4/2018











No comments:

Post a Comment