Sunday 2 September 2018

Cullingworth and Hewenden Reservoir

Sunday 2nd September a.m.
Another sunny start but cloud did build up during my walk which had a decent 17°C temperature to set off with.Still good numbers of House Martins over the village and around the reservoir although Swallow numbers are falling.The two Mute Swans are still present on the reservoir which I could see at the top end, a scan of trees found me a Stock Dove which is my first this year as they prove harder to find.I saw three Grey Herons around the edge of the reservoir, at the top end of the reservoir I spotted a Coot and also seven Moorhen some of them juveniles which suggests they have bred here.
In the distance I spotted a flock of bird fling towards me, I had the usual dilemma of tracking them with the bins or trying to get some record shots with the camera.I opted for the later but lost them with the bridge camera until they were close but they were soon past and gone in the distance leaving me wandering what they were.I got some pictures of eighteen birds, from which I think they were Goosanders but not a positive ID.
 Later I was scanning the edge of the reservoir with the bins when I got a Kingfisher which I saw go across the water over the dam wall heading for Hewenden beck. Other birds seen included Coal Tit, Chaffinch,Greenfinch and Willow Warbler.
Nigel.
Grey Heron


Canadas

Coot

Greenfinch

Moorhen

Mute Swan

Stock Dove


Willow Warbler

Birds over me in a flash



Possible Goosanders soon gone over and away, Hewenden Reservoir 2/9/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment