Saturday 14 March 2015

Soil Hill

Saturday 14th March a.m.
 After my earlier success at Leeshaw I decided to try my luck at Soil Hill near Queensbury following the reports of a special bird being here. I'm not too familiar with this spot only having ventured here a couple of times before, at the start of the track to the mast a Chaffinch was seen & a Pied Wagtail was in the field & a Wren flitted along the wall.Further along past the mast Skylarks were singing high up into the sky, I counted eight during my visit, also Lapwings flew across from time to time.
I searched the area for around half an hour with no luck then a bird flew across in front of me which looked different from the Skylarks.It landed so I followed & through the camera I was sure it was the bird I was searching for,Snow Bunting I took some pictures before it flew short distance away.Again I followed, watching it take a drink from a puddle before flying off not to be seen again but I was happy with a lifer & some pictures.My thanks to the finder of the bird BS, see some of his great pictures on West Yorkshire Birding.N.P.
Snow Bunting




Skylark

Pied Wagtail

Deer

Snow Bunting, Soil Hill 14/3/2015

4 comments:

  1. Well done with the Snow Bunt.
    Soil Hill can be saint or a sinner.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Nigel, glad you got it and stonking photos, good one on the Leeshaw Wheatear also. Got an e mail earlier from I.H. reporting 2 there this a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks John & Brian was pleased to find the Snow Bunting rounded off a good morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks John & Brian was pleased to find the Snow Bunting rounded off a good morning!

    ReplyDelete