Tuesday 21 April 2015

Bolton Abbey to Barden Bridge

Tuesday 21st April a.m.
 This was my last days holiday so I decided to make the most of a gloriously sunny day & headed off to Bolton Abbey.I set off from the Cavendish Pavillion with a start temperature of 8.5°C which rose rapidly to the high teens as I headed along side the River Wharfe up stream to Barden Bridge coming back along the other side of the River.
 I had a great start bird wise seeing Dipper,Grey Wagtail,Pied Wagtail & a Kingfisher from the bridge near the Cavendish Pavillion.The Dipper was collecting nesting material as was the Pied Wagtail, further along the River I got a nice surprise when I found three Common Sandpipers which were displaying.It was a wonderful walk & many birds were seen along the way including Mandarin Duck,
Goosander,GSW,Green Woodpecker heard,Nuthatch,Curlew,Buzzard,Treecreeper,Coal Tit,Willow Warbler ,Redshank, Chiffchaff heard,Sand Martin & others.The highlight for me though was seeing a Pied Flycatcher which is not very common in our area along with the marvellous scenery. N.P.
Pied Flycatcher


Common Sandpiper


Dipper

Dipper with nesting material

Pied Wagtail - anything a Dipper can do...

Grey Wagtail

Goosander


Drake Mandarin

Mandarin pair

Nuthatch

River Wharfe above Bolton Abbey 21/4/2015


3 comments:

  1. Great pics Danny and the pied flycatcher was a cracking find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really magic place.Well done with the pied f.
    They nested in a box by the side of the righthand path (going upstream)
    maybe 300yds from the 'bothy' type building where the feeders are - last summer.
    Hope I get them there again this year.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dave, they were in that area John when I saw them N.P.

    ReplyDelete