Sunday 30 April 2017

Dowley Gap and Hirst Wood

Sunday 30th April a.m.
A dull start but brightening up through the morning with a start temperature of 9°C, as I got out of the car I heard the rattling of a Mistle Thrush.This when I spotted it was a youngster calling for food the parent obliged with a juicy worm, not a bad start. On the canal there was a pair of Greylags with four Goslings, I made my way to the water treatment works which was full of Hirundines my estimates were c75 Swallows, c25 House Martins and c25 Sand Martins.As I carried on into Hirst Wood a Nuthatch was making a racket,in the woods it was good to see the Bluebells coming in to flower the scent wasn't bad either.Wild Garlic was also in flower with a different scent, on the River Aire there were two Goosanders, several Mallards, one with a brood of ten ducklings.Heading back I caught up with another pair of Greylags with three Goslings and another mallard with six chicks.Further along looking over at a distant pond there was a Moorhen with three chicks rounding the morning off as I headed home.
Nigel.
Greylag Gosling



Greylags with four Goslings

Greylags with three Goslings

Mallard Chick


Mallard with chick


Moorhen Chick


Mistle Thrush youngster

Adult Mistle Thrush searching for food nearby

Goosanders


Bluebells in Hirst Wood

Greylags with Goslings

Mallards on the river Aire at Hirst Wood 30/4/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment