Sunday 9 July 2017

Cullingworth and Hewenden Reservoir

Sunday 9th July a.m.
Another bright sunny start with a temperature of 12°C, at the bottom of our road were five Swifts screeching overhead in their usual summer spot, I suspect they have nests on the houses here.Walking up the road and near the top were House Martins overhead they visit their nests regularly, its great to see them on an evening as they fly low over the back gardens feeding, sometimes almost in touching distance.
  The usual species such as House Sparrow,Jackdaw and Collared Dove were seen on my way to Hewenden Viaduct where another 25 Swifts were overhead.On the reservoir Canadas and Mallards could be seen, over the water Swallows and more House Martins.Goldfinches were already on the Thistle seeds but generally a low key morning walk with not a lot of picture opportunities.
  However a bird on a distant wall caught my attention, at first thinking Juv Grey Wagtail, so I took a couple of pictures.When I got home and looked at them I was delighted to see it was a Juv Redstart, a first for the Cullingworth/Hewenden area for me, good to have surprises like that.Other birds seen during my walk included BH and LBB Gulls,Willow Warbler,Pied Wagtail,Perergrine and three Chiffchaffs heard.
Nigel.
Redstart Juvenile


Goldfinch


Peregrine keeping an eye on proceedings

Pied Wagtail Juv

Swallow Juv

Swift

Goldfinch on the Thistle seeds

Hewenden Reservoir


No comments:

Post a Comment