Saturday 8 July 2017

Leeshaw and Leeming Reservoirs

Saturday 8th July a.m.
Leeshaw
A bright sunny morning with a start temperature of 12°C on my arrival, plenty Oystercatchers around with a count of at least 12, Lapwings were gathered on the shoreline with a few still in the fields with juveniles.The Little Owl was in its usual spot, as I walked on the track I could see good numbers of Canadas and Greylags,several Mipits and a juvenile Pied Wagtail briefly posed for a picture.A couple of Cormorants were seen as was a Grey Heron with several Rooks in a field and plenty of Starlings.
Then I spotted a bird on the opposite bank a white bird, then through the bins I could see it was a Little Egret, wow! a first for me here and in the local area.Well pleased with this I decided to follow on to Leeming.
Leeming
As I approached the reservoir I could see a Kestrel in the distance and a House Martin over the field and a couple of Sand Martins.A Grey Heron was on the dam banking a couple of Willow Warblers made a brief appearance followed by five Goldfinch.Swallows were over the water and good to see a Tufted Duck on the water with four LBB Gulls at the waters edge.There were three Grey Wagtails near the small pond but the highlight was a Common Sandpiper in the far corner.
Little Egret



Little Owl

Lapwing

Lapwing Juv

Meadow Pipit

Oystercatcher

Pied Wag Juv

Common Sandpiper


Grey Wagtail

Kestrel

Willow Warbler

Leeming Reservoir

2 comments:

  1. Nice one with the Little Egret Nigel.
    A great bird for our area.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John It was great to see one so close to home.
    Nigel.

    ReplyDelete