Sunday 15 October 2017

Cullingworth and Hewenden Reservoir

Sunday 15th October a.m.
A cloudy start but the sun soon came out with another mild temperature of 12°C it was very pleasant walking.The reservoir held Mallards, Canadas and Tufted Ducks that I could see from the viaduct with BH Gulls on the dam wall and a Common Gull on the buoy in the water.Pied Wagtail and Coal Tit were good additions at Station Road and walking through the wood I was pleased to catch up with a GSW, not seen many this year.The top end of the reservoir had five each of Wigeon and Teal,Grey Heron, Cormorant and a very distant Little Grebe which was a site first for me.Then coming back I got my first Redwing of the Autumn,it quickly disappeared into a tree full of berries where no doubt it had some chums keeping out of the way of a Mistle Thrush protecting its berries.Also here were Chaffinch,Greenfinch and Goldfinch.I saw another two Pied Wagtails by the farm as I made my way home.
Nigel.
Cormorant

Grey Heron

Redwing

Mistle Thrush guarding the berries

Chaffinch


Greenfinch

Distant Little Grebe

Pied Wagtail

Wigeon

Teal

Hewenden Reservoir 15/10/2017

2 comments:

  1. Cracking Teal shot Nigel - great colours.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John, they were a long way off and I was having to find a gap between branches on the trees,did you spot the reflection of the Grey Heron which was behind the Teal but I couldn't get it in the shot with them.
    Nigel.

    ReplyDelete