Saturday 9 December 2017

Cullingworth & Hewenden Reservoir

Saturday 9th December a.m.
A cold start with a temperature of -1 °C as I headed along the icy footpaths to Hewenden Viaduct from where I could see c50  Canadas on the water along with four Cormorant and c50 BH Gulls.As I walked along the footpath across a snow filled field I got a distant view of a Goldeneye which is always a delight to see.It wasn't until I got to my viewing point around the other side of the reservoir that I was able to see the full range of wildfowl on the reservoir, parts of which were frozen over. There were 8 Tufteds,4 Wigeon,Teal,Goosander,Gt C.Grebe, Mallard,Moorhen,Coot and a site first a male Shoveler. When I started birding with Danny back in 2011 I never thought I would see such a good range of Wildfowl in one morning so close to home on Hewenden Reservoir, great birding even though it was bitterly cold.I added a Nuthatch to my list which landed in a tree near from my viewing point, on the way back home the Canadas had moved in to the snow covered field which I passed through and a Robin came to say hello as I headed home to thaw out.
Nigel.
Cormorant

Nuthatch

Robin

Shoveler

Mallard,Coot & Shoveler

Goldeneye


Canadas


A good selection of Wildfowl

Hewenden Viaduct

Hewenden Reservoir 9/12/2017

2 comments: