Friday, 24 July 2026

Swillington Ings

 Friday 24th July a.m.

A sunny start with a temperature of 16°C as I walked across the site Swifts & Sand Martins were flying above.  A quiet start then another birder was looking at something so I asked what he could see, a group of Yellow Wagtails was his reply.  He showed me where they were and I got a good view of them through the bins, very difficult to get pictures though.  Then he said have you seen the Cattle Egrets and pointed them out to me, wow a lifer for me so I spent a while here and counted 14 birds. Also close by was a Curlew, Snipe, Little Egret & Redshank a good numbers of Common Terns were also seen.  Back at Astley Lake I spotted a  couple of Spoonbills and another birder with a scope pointed out two Green Sandpipers.  A great morning here with plenty of birds which included Little Grebe, Gt C. Grebe, Shoveler, Kestrel, Gadwall, Pochard, Linnet, Reed Bunting, Grey Heron & Cormorant.

Cattle Egret





Yellow Wagtail



Little Egret

Spoonbills

Common Tern

Linnet

Shoveler

Cattle Egrets

Cattle Egrets following the Cattle at Swillington Ings 24/7/2026


No comments:

Post a Comment