Friday 17 August 2018

Which Tern is It?

Friday 17th August p.m.
 A dull afternoon with a little rain, plenty wind and a temperature of 15°C as I ventured to a local reservoir which has restricted access to BOG members.As I looked over the dam wall I could see Lapwings,BH Gulls,LBB Gulls and a few Herring Gulls spread out at the edge of the water.I walked down towards the hide scanning the distant shore hoping to see a wader but any small birds would be out of range of the bins.Something lifted all the birds and I saw five small waders among them, possibly Dunlin but I was unable to get a positive ID.I watched where they landed but was unable to re-locate them.I started walking back when I spotted a bird flying just in front of me,that isn't a BH Gull its a Tern.Then the big question which one as I watched it fly up and down the reservoir wall and then in to the water for a drink or fish.The thing that threw me was the black bill, being used to seeing the Red and black of the adult Common Tern, but after looking at the books I decided it was a 1st summer Common Tern which has not developed the red part of the bill yet and not got the black hood as we go towards Winter.
 Please correct me if I'm wrong, I got plenty pictures below although the light was poor.
Nigel.
I think 1st Summer Common Tern








2 comments:

  1. Thanks John, the bird came very close so couldn't fail even with the bridge camera.
    Nigel.

    ReplyDelete