Friday 27 March 2020

Cullingworth & Hewenden Reservoir

Friday March 27th a.m.
 A great morning for getting some exercise with sunshine and blue sky, an overnight frost and a start temperature of 1°C but feeling pleasant with a light wind. I headed for the reservoir seeing House Sparrows, Blackbirds, Blue Tits, Dunnock, Chaffinch and Starlings on the way. Then a familiar sound that I've not heard for some time and soon after along the Great Northern Trail there it was high in a tree my first Chiffchaff of the year which was quickly followed by my second and I heard two more during my walk. A Song Thrush was having a wash in a puddle and a Goldfinch was carrying nesting material, then high in a tree a Greenfinch was singing.
 On the Reservoir there were Canadas, Cormorants, Herring and LBB Gulls, at the other side of the viaduct a pair of Grey Wagtails were seen and a Green Woodpecker was yaffling. Walking round the top end of the reservoir I saw a Grey Heron and a Coal Tit was in a Willow Tree.
 Coming back there were a number of Jackdaws and a couple of Cock Pheasants were squaring up, my presence walking past prevented the feathers flying. A good walk getting my daily exercise and having the bonus of seeing plenty birds along the way.
Chiffchaff



Coal Tit


Chaffinch

Dunnock

Goldfinch with nesting material

Grey Wagtail

House Sparrow


Jackdaw

Song Thrush

Herring & LBB Gulls

Cock Pheasants squaring up for a fight

Hewenden Reservoir and Viaduct

No comments:

Post a Comment