Saturday 29 September 2018

Denholme Clough to Doe Park Reservoir

Saturday 29th September a.m.
A frost overnight but still a lovely sunny crisp morning with a temperature of 5°C as I started off with a Song Thrush on the roadside before going into Denhome Clough.The sun shone on the trees up the banking of the Clough helping me to pick out Blue Tit,Gt Tit,Goldfinch,Robin & Greenfinch.I had a quiet walk for a while until in the distance a skein of 100 plus Pink-footed Geese flew over.
     In a field at the side of the reservoir 12 Canadas were feeding before they flew off and landed on the water where there was a Cormorant on a buoy in the water,Mallards and a few BH Gulls.Then the plot thickened as I saw twelve Wigeon on the water, who soon took off doing a few laps overhead before heading off...
 I headed back through the Clough not adding to my tally so decided to call in at another local Reservoir going through a couple of locked gates(BOG access by agreement with Yorkshire Water) before walking alongside the reservoir.Here were LBB and BH Gulls,Mallard,Tufted Ducks and a Kestrel made an appearance.I spotted eleven Wigeon in a group,with two different looking birds which I think are Pintails.
 Another look at my pictures from Doe Park Reservoir confirms a Pintail in with the Wigeon as the flew round which ties things up nicely.
Nigel.
Song Thrush

Through the tunnel towards the reservoir

A few Toadstools on the ground

Canadas

Cormorant

Wigeon


Wigeon & Pintail third from left

Spot the Pintail


Two Pintail at the back of the Wigeon, second Reservoir

Another view at the second Reservoir

Skein of 100 plus Pink-footed Geese

Doe Park Reservoir 29/9/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment