Tuesday 1 January 2019

Cullingworth & Hewenden Reservoir

Tuesday1st January a.m.
The New Year started with a cloudy morning and a temperature of 8°C but some sunshine appeared later in the morning.I saw several common species plus Mistle Thrush and Song Thrush as I made my way to Hewenden Viaduct where I added Goldfinch,Bullfinch and Blue Tits, these were high in the trees but looking from the viaduct your above them or on a level.I made my way round to my viewing point which is when things usually improve with a reasonable view of the top end of the reservoir.From here I saw Goldeneye, Goosander,Teal,Tufteds,Cormorants,Mallards,Moorhens and Grey Heron.Then I spotted a bird on a log at the far side of the reservoir, although brightly coloured it was not an easy spot and some what of a surprise, a male Mandarin Duck.
 As I walked on a flock of twenty Greylags came in to land joining the ten Canadas already present. Soon after I saw six Redwings,Kestrel,Pheasant and Greenfinch which gave me a good total of 34 species from my walk to start this years list.
Nigel.
male Mandarin Duck




Pheasant

Teal

Goldeneye

Goldfinch

Greenfinch

Bullfinch

Canadas & Tufteds

Cormorant


Goosander

Greylags


Kestrel

Redwing

Hewenden Reservoir 1/1/2019
 

No comments:

Post a Comment