Friday 26 May 2017

Cullingworth and Hewenden Reservoir

Friday May 26th a.m.
A bright warm start to the day with a temperature of 14° as I started my walk heading towards Hewenden Reservoir.It was good to see House Martins above the village, with some of them nest building on the House walls where there is a overhang from the roof so they have some cover.At the viaduct there were 12 Swifts overhead with Swallows and more House Martins over the Reservoir.A couple of Oystercatchers flew in settling for a while on the dam wall.It was also good to hear the distant call of a Cuckoo, there was a Grey Heron at the edge of the reservoir.I could also hear Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Whitethroat, I manged to see the Whitethroat at the top of a tree some distance away.
 At the top end of the reservoir I got two Cuckoos calling and later saw them in flight, as I came to the farm I stumbled on Swallows and House Martin collecting mud for nest building.This gave a good chance to take some pictures, they were briefly joined by a Grey Wagtail looking inquisitively.
Others seen included Mistle Thrush,Tufted Duck,Canada,Pied Wagtail and Pheasant.
Nigel.
Swallow


House Martin





Grey Wagtail

Oystercatcher


Swift

Swallow & House Martin

Hewenden Viaduct

Hewenden Reservoir 26/5/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment