Saturday 11 January 2020

Redcar Tarn

Saturday 11th January a.m.
 A trip up to Redcar Tarn after some early brightness was cloudy and blowing a gale with a temperature of 10°C. On the water were c100 BH Gulls and a few each of Common, Herring and LBB Gulls, there were c100 Mallards mainly sheltering near the trees. As I started to walk round there were more Gulls in the field next to the Tarn which has a large pond due to all the rain we've had. Among them I noticed a bird with a Yellow Ring number but couldn't read it but I hoped this could be the bird reported a couple of weeks ago by KM as a Caspian Gull. I took some pictures which was a struggle with the wind nearly blowing me over and walked round seeing a pair of Goosanders 30 Tufteds and c100 Lapwings.
 When I got back to the car KM was now on site and he told me what I should be looking for with the Caspian Gull for ID.  We went for another look in the field and the bird was still there, KM confirmed it was the Caspian Gull and the Yellow Ring number was X86A, Great news a lifer for me! This he reported on the BOG site as a bird ringed in June 2018 near Leipzig making it a second Winter bird.
 There was a second bird which was also a possible Caspian but in the poor conditions he was not sure without further research.
 Also seen were Chaffinch, Jackdaw, Starling and Rook.
Caspian Gull Ring Number X86A




Caspian, Herring and BH Gulls

Goosander



Herring Gull

Lapwings

LBB Gull

Rook

Tufted

Caspian Gull with BH & Herring Gulls at Redcar Tarn

Redcar Tarn 11/1/2020

2 comments: