Wednesday 1 January 2020

Cullingworth and Hewenden Reservoir

Wednesday 1st January a.m.
 I awoke to a New Year with the sound of a Tawney Owl calling which sounds promising for the coming year. The weather too was good with the sun coming up and a temperature of 4°C as I walked through Cullingworth towards Hewenden Reservoir. On the way I saw common species such as Starling, Magpie, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Woodpigeon and Carrion Crow. When I got to the Viaduct I could see c150 BH Gulls, Cormorant, Canadas and Moorhen, at the other side of the Viaduct was resident Peacock as well as Bullfinch, Blackbird and Robin. Walking through the woods at the top end of the Reservoir I added Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Goldcrest and Nuthatch.
 When I arrived at my viewing point for the top end of the Reservoir there were two Mute Swans, five Goldeneye, five Goosander, Six Wigeon, three Teal, two Little Grebes plus Mallard, Tufteds and Coots.
 Walking back towards the farm I added Chaffinch and a closer look at the Gulls on the dam wall added Common and Herring Gulls making for a good walk and a great birding start to the year.
Goldeneye

Blackbird

Peacock

Robin

Mute Swan

Little Grebe


Tufteds

Wigeon

Canadas

Cormorant

Goldcrest

Herring Gulls

Mallard in the foreground and Teal at the back

Goldeneye

male & female Goldeneye

The path to the viaduct follows the old railway line

Hewenden Reservoir 1/1/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment